Monday, February 20, 2012

Stripes


DSC_1248.jpg





Who said we can't wear navy and black together or that white shoes aren't permittied after Labor Day? Where is this Bible of fashion rules? Who came up with the idea of wearing black to make you look thin instead of wearing a great cut shirt ? I have been seeing a lot of really fun color combinations lately and I am happy for all the rule breakers and trend setters that asked why not. In honor of the smart ass slackers and the rule breaking fashionistas, I say wear what makes your feel comfortable. I have been told that stripes are not work appropriate. To all the rule breakers out there: Stipes all around! Nothing says summer like a great navy and white striped top. I love this tank from J.Crew. I practically lived in this tank and my red boat shoes last summer. Every time I look at it in my drawer, I feel the warm rays of the summer sun. In order to keep my mood uplifted, the navy tank was necessary. I love the idea of pairing navy with lime green. I haven't quite found the perfect lime tee...but I did find a scarf that had that touch of lime I was looking for. (like a Captain and Coke on a warm day.....) Sometimes it just takes a cheap new accessory to freshen your wardrobe. I love how my lime and navy scarf kicked up my classic khakis and navy striped tank. Looking to add some color to your wardrobe but are afraid? Try a colorful necklace or scarf..it is the easy and cheap way to keep up with the spring trends. 


DSC_1269.jpg
DSC_1247.jpg
DSC_1237.jpg
DSC_1239.jpg
DSC_1238.jpg

Tank Top: J.Crew
Shirt: Gabriel Brothers
Pants: The Limited
Shoes: Dillards
Bracelet: Gift




What the hell's the matter with you? Stupid! We're all very different people. We're not Watusi. We're not Spartans. We're Americans, with a capital 'A', huh? You know what that means? Do ya? That means that our forefathers were kicked out of every decent country in the world. We are the wretched refuse. We're the underdog. We're mutts! Here's proof: his nose is cold! But there's no animal that's more faithful, that's more loyal, more loveable than the mutt. Who saw "Old Yeller?" Who cried when Old Yeller got shot at the end? " Bill Murray Stripes



I love the movie Stripes. If you haven't seen it, I would highly reccomend it. It is your basic "my life is going no where, I have a crappy job, I need purpose so I will join the army" kind of movie. (circa 1981) Did I mention Bill Murry plays the lead slacker?  I put on my navy tank, looked in the mirror and for some reason that quote from Stripes popped into my head. Yeah, I am that strange. There is always a random movie or song quote playing in my mind like a soundtrack to my life. I even imagine I have entrance music at times. (turn around...every now and then I fall apart...). The thing about Stripes is it has the familiarity of a a great slacker comedy. It is funny when a person goes against the flow. Most people I know that are "slackers" are actually really smart but just not challenged. Some of us don't fit into the conventional norms are are always going to ask "why". Like Bill Murray's character, John, us smartasses function best when we are challenged and pushed into our roles. We don't just adapt to what people expect us to do. We are square pegs trying to fit inside of round holes. Do you ever feel that way? Its like  your job or your family or even your friends are trying to mold you into something you are not. In the movies, the protagonist often realizes his or her strengths, rallies the group and defys authority to come out as the hero. Unfortunately real life rarely works that way. When was the last time you got a group of people to challenge authority and it worked? Most of us will eventually slowly conform to becoming a round peg. Today, I say to challenge that. Question authority and ask the questions. Just because something has always been done a certain way does not mean that that is the right way. I guess we all need a little Bill Murray in our attitudes...a little smart ass authority-challenging wild streak. Whether it is to stand up to that bully at school or work or putting your self ahead of everyone else's problems, a little bit of rebellion is alway good for confidence.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated :)