Saturday, January 28, 2012

The Big Deal

"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in each moment" Henry David Thoreau

When you receive a wedding or baby shower invitation, do you immediately (a) cringe and think of who you may be there and if you like them.  (b) roll you eyes (c) get excited and dwell on the event thinking how nice it is for the people involved and you are so glad to be part of such an occasion. If you answered (a) or (b) they you may be negative and cynical. We all have moments of negativity, but sometimes we don't realize when our whole approach to something becomes negative. I know I have been guilty of (a) and (b). Who hasn't? Someone else's happiness and milestones remind of us of our own milestones or sometimes lack of milestones. If you are single, a wedding can make you feel anxious about when or even if you will ever have one. For me it is a reflection back on these events that took place ten years ago..wedding, baby, college graduation..all these things took place in 2002. I look back and wonder if I was able to actually enjoy these things or if it all just happened so fast that I didn't get a chance to savor the moment. I want to take an extra step toward positive thinking. From what I have heard it is pretty powerful. It is time to make a big deal out of everything..especially for my girls. Life should be a series of celebrations.

Today's big deal: it is Saturday. The four of us went to lunch. The girls did great on their report cards, so we took them to lunch as a way to show them good grades earn them something other than Spaghetti-Os for lunch. Saturday is usually an excuse for me to stay in jammies all day. Layla asked if she could wear sweats to lunch...after all it is Saturday. I let her and was secretly happy when Liv got dressed up and dressed her doll up for lunch. I like to get dressed up a bit when I grab a bite to eat..even if it is at a small cafe and there is a chance that Layla won't be the only person who celebrates Sweatpants Saturday. I went with a cute skirt, a denim shirt and a pair of navy rain boots. Living in Ohio, my wardrobe consists of fun pieces as well as weather necessities. I have finally got a great pair of rain boots. The pair of Crocs rain boots I had been eying since fall finally went on sale at Piperlime for $20! Since we have had way more rain then snow, they were definitely a beneficial purchase. It was a nice day to celebrate each other. In a continued effort to celebrate and embrace the everyday, I am hoping it is the big and small moments count. 

Writing prompt: What is the last thing you were invited to celebrate? Were you happy or cynical? What is something you do to celebrate the small moments? 


DSC_0717.jpg

DSC_0726.jpg

DSC_0739.jpg

DSC_0736.jpg

DSC_0730.jpg
DSC_0721.jpg

DSC_0735.jpg

DSC_0728.jpg


Shirt: Target (from Marc's)
Skirt: Gap
Tights: Target
Boots: Crocs (Piperlime)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated :)