Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Gravity

"Oh...Got to see, got to know right now. What's that riding on your everything? It isn't anything at all”
Modest Mouse
Do you notice that as you get older gravity plays a huge role in your daily life?  I was listening to one of my favorite Modest Mouse albums " the moon and Antarctica".  I always love to sing along with "Gravity Rides Everything". Now, more than ten years ago, when I first got the CD, the impact of gravity is taking its toll on me. The first thing that gravity stole was my perky twenty one year old boobies. Now It seems everything around me is a victim to this outlandish potency that pulls us all down. Gravity is perhaps the most significant force we face each day. I watch Olivia whirl herself up on the counter demanding I curl her hair and all I can do is panic that she willfall. "Mommy," she argues, " I won't fall." Seven year olds seem to know so much about gravity. But me (and my health savings account) thought way differently. As parents we spend time trying to protect our kids from gravity. We scold them from climbing and make then wear helmets when on a bike. We come off as the fun killers, but actually we are astutely aware of the effects of gravity. I look at Olivia and her endless climbing and falling and wonder how she always seems to stick her mini middle finger right in gravity's face. Last weekend, I fried to take on gravity and lost. It seems the farther away you are away from the ground, the more gravity stings. I clipped my heel right off of my kitchen step and before I knew it, I was falling, falling falling. I smacked my head against the wall on the way down and just sat there. Like a cartoon character, I picked up my head only to see stars orbiting around my ears like a taunting halo.

"As fruit drops and flesh it sags, everything it will fall. Fall right into place."

 Gravity is inevitable. Physically, we all know what goes up must come down.  We had a pair of soccer socks on the roof for a while to test that theory. It reminded me of a time when I challenged gravity as a kid. I started throwing my Rainbow Brite star horse (my favorite stuffed animal in 1986) up in the air and absentmindedly catching him. He nipped the corner of the gutter and at first I was relieved he didn't end up on the roof. Then curiosity got the best of me, and I kept tossing him. He got higher and closer to the roof every time I threw him. I knew my dad would be annoyed if he had to climb the roof to save my horse, but I couldn't stop my arms from throwing. When I questioned Olivia about the pink soccer socks on the roof, she repeated the exact same answer I had given when my dad asked how the horse had gotten up on the roof. "I dunno, I accidentally threw it up there."
Just like I fall a physical victim to gravity, mentally it also takes a toll. Do you ever feel life is an anchor sometimes pulling you down? Winter is a force of gravity and can quickly drop your mood. Today I was feeling the extra gravitational pull in my atmosphere. It causes us to take it all too seriously and dwell on the negative. It is what pulls us into depression, especially the winter ones. Gravity is that force that makes too become bears and hibernate from now until may. Before I completely fell into a winter sink hole, I put on a dress and a bright red sweater and stood up to gravity. (Push up bra and all). I started the beginning of a winter long battle between being positive and giving into the winter blues. One day, one dress at a time, I am trying not to let it get the best of me. I am sure I will get a good laugh at this come March.
DSC_0173.jpg
DSC_0172.jpg
DSC_0158.jpg
DSC_0185.jpg
DSC_0183.jpg
DSC_0184.jpg
DSC_0178.jpg
DSC_0180.jpg
DSC_0169.jpg


Dress: Forever21
Tights: Target
Boots: Piperlime
Coat: Modcloth
Sunglasses: TJ Maxx












3 comments:

  1. Mental gravity. Love it. And your location! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...thats what Josh and I did with our little bit of quiet time. I love German Village

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated :)