Saturday, November 26, 2011

Your Mom Goes to College....

Yeah..that is my favorite line from Napoleon Dynamite. I can't help but smile when I think of that nerd/pedophile hybrid..Kip. He was my favorite character in the movie. I like to think that if Kip can find love than anyone can.

Deep down I think we are all college football fans for the simple reason that college was the best time of our lives. There will never be another time when we have unlimited freedom and endless opportunities. (retirement?). It is a time when the more broke you are the cooler you seem. (starving artists always get laid).  College is when you spend four years (at least that is what they tell you) trying to find yourself. When that four years is over then you have to face the music. (and not the amazing local band at a dive bar kind of music). It is time to become an adult. Game over thanks for playing.

You do get one thing from college. You get to call yourself an Alumni. Even if I am ringing out people with black eyes from fighting over $2 waffle makers at Wal-Mart on Black Friday...I can still proudly say I am an Alumni of The Ohio State University. (yes..THE is part of the title..). Lucky for me, that is not my current occupation and I feel very sorry for the people whose job that is. I don't think they woke up one day and said.."I want to work at Wal-Mart so I can leave my family before my turkey is digested and head to work where people will act like savages in order to score a few deals. Ok..I promise that is my first and only Black Friday rant. The point I really want to make is that your alumni status at any university is something you can be proud of..it represents where you where when you found yourself.

Ten years ago..(sadly more..) I would spend my Saturday mornings bleeding scarlet and gray. The city of Columbus OH becomes a force on game day mornings. There is a buzz that circulates when the Ohio State Buckeyes are playing. Whether or not your are a fan of football or drunk people wearing buckeye necklaces, you have to admit there is a certain magic behind it. It is one of the things I miss about living in Columbus. I may not follow college football word for word..game for game..but I do love to put on a Buckeyes Tshirt every Saturday in the fall to proudly display that I am a buckeye. I graduated from The Ohio State University...class of 2002..with a Bachelors degree in English. No matter where I am in my life, I get to reflect on four years of amazing times. (and yes..I am one of the proud few who did it in four years!) Anywhere you go in the world you can find an Ohio State fan.

Today is the most important day in any Buckeye's life. Once a year we get mean and nasty.....and downright hateful all behind one common enemy...Michigan. We can't even say the word Michigan without a cringe in our scarlet and gray noses. I can honestly say, I have trouble pairing the colors of yellow and navy because that is the color Michigan fans bleed. Our season has been unfortunate this year. It started with scandal and has been overshadowed by loss. There is one thing that can turn this sad year on its side...and that is a Michigan victory. Then we forget everything bad that has happened.

When game days come along I like to shake it up a bit. Sometimes I just wear the colors red and gray. Today I am going to wear my favorite Ohio State shirt and a pair of wide leg jeans. The whole thing has a seventies vibe to it. No matter what I end up doing today...there will always be that college student inside that is sitting on her front lawn on campus screaming O-H-I-O



Shirt: Nike  (from Macys)
Shoes: Converse (from Kohls)
Belt: Walmart
Jeans: Gap

2 comments:

  1. OH - IO
    I love THE Ohio State University.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of the few who don't feel the magic. Oh well! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated :)