Thursday, October 13, 2011

The Dreamer


"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. " John Lennon
_DSC0365.jpg


Dreams are funny. You spend your life either chasing one or hoping to find one to chase. When you finally find the dream you are seeking you then find another one to chase. When I get in that random conversation with a stranger that I haven't seen in a while I usually don't quite know how to respond when they ask "how are you doing." I love getting into really deep and involved conversation..I love talking about funny movies, books, music, shopping, religion, etc. But when you ask me "how am I doing" I just blank. My new thing is just to simply respond "living the dream." Then I know I am being honest.  When it comes to the dream I guess I can say I am doing well..two kids, house in the suburbs, great husband, and pretty much about 85% of my early twenties figure. So really, I guess I am living the dream.

So why the pursuit? Its been a while since I reflected on the pursuit. But today when I got that email stating I didn't make it into the final round of the Lucky contest, the dream immediately came into question. Six months ago, I started on this pursuit. I put fingers to keyboard and started sharing my life with all my friends on Facebook. Then I started to tell stories about my kids which were so well received. Then I added some of my personal style and shopping tips. Even better received. The more I kept doing this, the more I realized it was my dream to just write. Sometimes I have a point, sometimes I have a story, or sometimes I just have a bit of insight that I felt the need to share. The dream is this, expressing that inner creative self that has hid for so long under an awkward shell. Here on this blog I created my own little world, my own dream. So I imagine that even thought I am not the winner of ten thousand dollars and a chance to write regularly for Lucky, somehow being able to write everyday about what I want and when I want isn't the worst constellation prize. I would have loved to win that contest, It would have somehow validated me...gave me even more confidence. When I wrote my first post...I only allowed three people to read it. Then when I stared putting my stories on Facebook...I would check back every few minutes to see if there was a comment or a like or something that said it was well received. Now, I post with confidence and even reach out to strangers because I know what I am saying is worth saying.  So I guess I the dream is just getting started.

I have put myself on a strict writing schedule, I am taking pictures regularly. Today, for the third week in row, I stuck to no pants Thursday. Knowing it was raining, and my photographer wouldn't be around at lunch so I would have to do pictures before work. (aka I would have to be ready twenty minutes earlier). This is the most dedication I have ever shown something that I did not give birth to. Today, when I put on my gray tights, rust tissue turtle neck and favorite dark denim tulip skirt, I didn't think that this would be what I was wearing when I got a slight roadblock in my dream. But don't worry..the fashion Gods paid me back....but thats for tomorrow.


_DSC0368.jpg


_DSC0353.jpg                  _DSC0351.jpg


Shoes: Seychelles (DSW)
Turtleneck/Tights:Target 
Belt: New York and Co
Necklace: Banana Republic
Watch: Gift


3 comments:

  1. Love this outfit! I wish I could see your shoes up closer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I have been featuring these shoes a lot lately since I can't get enough of them. I did a close up last week.

    http://www.thepursuitofkj.com/2011/10/its-good-to-be-king.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, I just read your blog for the first time and I loved it! Im very excited yet also inspired that you are following your dreams! I can't wait to keep reading more about your life and finding other fashion tips/ deals!!! Keep up the good work!
    Becky (from the Grille)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always appreciated :)