Friday, July 22, 2011

Living the Dream

Another Friday passed, another week wished away. The anxiety of Friday can be quite overwhelming. You spend the week waiting and hoping for that magic time...5:00 and then it comes along...now what? The week is over the weekend is here...and repeat again Monday. This goes on for the next thirty years then you retire. Sounds pretty depressing, right? I cant help but wonder if it is possible to break out of convention and do something about the mundane and every day. Ten years ago, if you would have told me I would be sitting in an office doing bookkeeping, I would have laughed my free spirited ass off. So here I am wondering what the hell happened.

There is that saying that if you love what you do then you will never work a day in your life. Well, I am pretty sure that is used in a commercial..for beer. If I made beer than I hardly doubt that would be considered working. "My life is awesome ale" anyone? I don't think success is measured by wealth, title or status. It isn't measured with how big your house is or what kind of car you drive, where you golf, where you hang out or who you are rubbing elbows with. Happiness is hardly what everyone else thinks of you and who your kids are friends with or even the amazing countries you visit. So as I wonder on this pursuit of, well something, I often get blocked on the way wondering if it is possible that doing this will make me truly happy.

Don't get me wrong, I have a great life. I am fortunate to have two beautiful girls, a great husband and an amazing family and friends to keep me sane. But there is a certain amount of personal responsibility where I feel I am coming short. Am I someone my kids, husband, parents, and friends can be proud of? My career path has become more of a road block where I am my own worst enemy. I think somewhere along the line I forgot to dream.

If I were to go to career day, or give a speech to my eighteen year old self, I would say one important thing....don't forget to dream. Its the dreamers that succeed and its because they know what they want. Its hard to work for something when you don't know where it is going. So as I sit here, looking for a sign of where to go, I realize I have been ignoring all the burning bushes around me. So the first thing I need is a dream.

"Dream on, dream on, dream until your dreams come true"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated :)